How to Optimize Your Treadmill Workout
Making the most of your time indoors on the treadmill when the temps are cold outside
1) Before you get going, ensure that you have everything you need close at hand. Most treadmills have a place to store a water bottle, tunes or a television remote.
2) Set your treadmill at a 1% or 2% incline to mimic wind resistance and terrain variations you get when running outdoors.
3) Moving into a more minimalist running shoe this season? The treadmill is a great place to start. You can set modest time and distance goals and benefit from a less impactful surface.
4) Warm up, cool down and stretch just like you would with any other run workout.
5) Wear a heart rate monitor and don’t rely on a treadmill’s calorie read-out. These read-outs can vary dramatically from one machine to another, so if you’re interested in stats consider using your own equipment.